onsdag 22 april 2009

Laugh and be entertained

Actually, I´m not a big fan of watching TV. For two reasons, first I don’t really have the time for doing it and second, that time I have left, I want to spend time with my friends instead of watching TV.

But of course, when I was a teenager I saw every reality show and TV-soap that existed on the TV. The favourite series at that time was the popular American production Friends. That programme contained everything, humour, love, fights, and troubles of all kind. Everybody among my friends saw the programme and it was the big topic to discuss when we had a break at school.

Since that series I have not directly followed any specific series until Desperate Housewife and Grey’s Anatomy occurred on the TV. After the first part of both series I was trapped.
I have followed every part from both series since that and you may now ask your self what it is that are so amazing about these programmes.

They are two different kinds of series with different stories. Desperate Housewife is about five housewife and their families and life. Grey’s take place in a hospital, the doctor’s life and the complicated cases that shows up at the hospital. Both series have action, laughter, intrigues and complicated life with both love and friend relationships. Even if these series are made up and all fiction, there are always something that you can relate to and something you can recognize with your self in your own life. In that part these two series touch topics that are relevant for our lifetime and problems that we may tussle with everyday.

Of course, there are many scenes and actions that are very unlikely that it would happen in real life, but that makes also these series a good moment, for an hour or two, to just disappear in the world of Desperate and Grey’s and only be entertained.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Dear Louise,

    Thank you for your thoughts on the topic of TV series! I’m impressed by you having watched so many episodes of your favourite series, and must confess I haven’t watched a single one myself.

    You do a good job structuring your text. You deal with one idea per paragraph, although you might argue that paragraphs 3 and 4 actually deal with one and the same and therefore could have been joined up. As to your introductory paragraph, the text would have benefitted from ending with a sentence that would have poined out to the reader what the rest of the text would be about, since now, you expect it to deal with the fact that you don’t watch TV at all. If you had said something like “However, there are a few TV series that have managed to get under my skin”, the theme of the text would have become much clearer to the reader. You do use topic sentences, which is very good, but I think the reader would have benefitted if they had been a bit shorter and more to the point. Give them some extra thought in your next text. As to your concluding paragraph, you might have wanted to sum up your main points a bit before you ended it. The ending itself, however, is very good!

    You make good use of transitional devices in your text – keep that up! However, make sure to avoid half-paragraphing (you use it in paragraph 3).

    When it comes to language, I think your language is good. However, there are always things to think about: subject-verb agreement, as in e.g. “what it is that are so amazing”, sentence structure (in “For two reasons,...” you have a sentence fragment and you should have said e.g. “There are two reasons for that: “), not to use the indefinite article for nouns used in the generic sense: “I saw every reality show and TV-soap that existed on the TV.”, and number as in “Desperate Housewife is about five housewife and their families and life.”, where you would have to say “housewives” and “lives”. Also, note that the pronoun “yourself” is written in one word.

    Keep up the good work!

    Best,
    Marika

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hey Lousie. It was very interesting to read about your tv habits. I think you wright very well and stick to the assignment at hand. The only thing I could notice being "wrong" is in the third paragraph where you have sort of mixed up the two ways of wrighting, but I suppose you alredy know that...

    Keep up the good work!
    /Mattias

    SvaraRadera